It's engagement season! The grass is green, buds are beginning to show up on trees and the sun is shining long enough to get outside and capture some really beautiful engagement photos. Photos for your save the dates, invites, signing album or just as a record of this special time before your big day. The most common question we get is "What do I wear?" and most of the time this is coming from the bride to be. Here are a few pointers to help you and your partner look effortlessly perfect in your photos...
1) Try to coordinate. No need to be all matchy-matchy but subtle color coordination can make you both look effortlessly in sync. No need to look like twins, but if you both dress within the same color family it can make such a big difference and makes it much easier to find light that flatters both of you.
2) Keep your surroundings in mind. If you're planning to have an epic backdrop of mountains, or walking along the beach; then it may be best to keep your outfits simple. Still try to have some coordination but no need to go over the top.
3) Feel free to include fluffy friends! Coordinate with us ahead of time and make an opportunity to include your whole little family.
4) Embrace your style. Use your engagement shoot as an excuse to go shopping and get that cute pair of heels you've been eying, or bling out with some cute new jewellery.
5) Be practical! If you're planning an outdoor shoot make sure you're aware of the weather so you're not freezing to death or having to cut your shoot short because you're too cold. No need to get sick the week while busy planning the big day. Bundle up if need be, wear layers, and always bring some extra clothes so you can easily adapt. It doesn't hurt to keep this in mind with shoes as well, if you're doing a shoot in the middle of the mountains, maybe bring some walking shoes as well, instead of relying purely on your heels.
6) Don't be afraid to mix it up. If we have time, we can usually do two outfits/looks. This way you can have some diversity and show off your personalities more. Show your outdoorsy/romantic side as well as your urban/outgoing side.
7) Add props. This can give some direction to the shoot, add a bit of a theme, and make your photos unique. If it's rainy the day of your shoot, add a fun umbrella and go with it! Have a beautiful car you're in love with? Let's use it!
8) Don't be afraid to take the spotlight. If your man opts for neutrals, go ahead and slip into a bit of color. The contrast will look great on camera.
Photography and weather is always a love hate relationship. If it's sunny, it's too sunny, when you want to shoot outside it snows. So all you can do is roll with the punches and hope for the best. And we definitely got the best with this gorgeous couple. While on location for an engagement shoot we were hit with rain out of the blue. But this lovely couple braved the weather and we managed to get some creative shots using the puddle reflections surrounding us. Rain or shine, we get the shot.
In Calgary you can never predict what Mother Nature will bring us for weather. This past weekend brought us wonderful sunshine and we took advantage of that! Hit the streets of downtown Calgary, to stroll around with all the other people that were also taking advantage of the fabulous weather. Amber & John are getting married this summer on June 1st. Our team cannot wait to be apart of your wonderful day. Congrats you two!